Building certification criteria:
- energy efficiency;
- environmental friendliness;
- materials, etc.
City certification criteria:
- progressive environmental, energy, transport and utility policies;
- residents' involvement in decision-making related to the city development;
- creation of educational centers to increase the residents' social activity;
- dispersed allocation of labor resources.
International standards are applied in 164 countries including Russia. Case example
Standard ISO 37120 "Indicators for city services and quality of life" served as the basis for the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDG), which the OECD countries follow to develop urban environments.
Every year, the American Association evaluates 105 cities according to the standard criteria in the US Cities Sustainable Development Report. The standard has become an effective tool to assess the urban policy and infrastructure dynamics in the US cities.